WaterDragon

WaterDragon

Friday, October 12, 2018

Ponderings on What Make a Community

In a whirlwind of time, my life has turned colour.  The shift of seasons from summer to fall caught me up in its kaleidoscope of inevitable change. And tripped me, tumbled me, as the winds tumble leaves and ocean waves loosen their rocks upon the shoreline, easing rough edges smooth or smoother.

Asked to ponder when and how does a gathering of people become a group, when and how does the group morph into a team or band, and when and at what point does it become a community, the answers slowly developed over a moon's cycle. To reveal the obvious through an achingly somatic experience that this cyclical process embodies a sacredness not only for myself, but for each and every person within the gathering who has become part of the group and in time, the community.

These questions, posed to me once I left my Seaside and Astoria communities and traveled northward this September to begin a new life, held me riveted day in, day out. Sensing that I could not rest until I understood the deeper meaning within this riddled set of ponderings, I came to realize that I was a part of the grand evolution bestowed upon those who come together into a group to share their passions, and ultimately morph into a community. And that I was mourning leaving behind community, connection, respect, nourishment and love for and from the people in my groups. I had no idea that leaving would would throw me into a depression.  Nor that my leaving would impact others.


To be the wayward wind, identifying with a disconnected alone sense no longer defined who I was. While I had not considered myself a group person, over time I found my writing group,  my music groups and other groups nourishing me, holding me connected, feeding my deepest passions.  Stories unexamined for too long, held in the subconscious, unexposed to the light of consciousness, can imprison us, keeping our pathologies alive rather than freeing us to live with an ease to explore maintaining continuity and connection to self and others.

 
Jill Liedloff in in her book “The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost,” writes about our need for continuity.  Comparing a stone age culture’s intact social structure and the impact upon the children, and ultimately the ease among the village, she shows us the suffering tribal members experience who leave their village to live elsewhere--their loss of connection, acceptance for whom they are, their place in the tribe and their importance as a tribal member. Ultimately, the impact upon their psyche.


True to her studies and postulating, leaving everyone and everything jolted me deeply.  There was little solace for my sadness.  The light that shone, went dim.  I withered along with the autumn leaves.  My voice grew still.  Briny tears fell in rivulets down to the Straits of Juan de Fuca, to the shoreline, commingled and became one with this tributary, taking sorrow out to the Mother herself. On down the coastal currents, into the waters across the estuaries making their way to the mouth of the Columbia, crossing the state line into Oregon, and to the shores of Astoria, and further down the coastline to Seaside and beyond.


It was through these tears and sadness that I understood the pondering riddle.  We morph from one shaggy individualistic bunch into a diversely connected passionate group and community when respect for one another, appreciation for our individual gifts and personalities, participation through our commitment to show up,  responsibility to share our creative process, and acceptance and honouring of others is maintained at the highest calibre.  The icing on the cake so-to-speak is the learning and teaching exchanged in the process.


The continuity of a group and ultimately a community is as dependable as the moon in her cycles, the tide in the oceans, the seasonal shifts from one year to the next—binding us together in a metaphorical sense of home and nourishment for the soul. Always evolving, shifting, as everything alive has a pulse, ultimately commingling into a richer gathering of people with each passing moment. As if nature’s commitment to show up, be present,  is guiding us in our own values, understanding that we, too, commit to the greater group and through that, thrive in our interconnectedness to self and others.


Kat 
12 October 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment